• Use the BOSCH sifter attachment to sift whole wheat flour for fine whole wheat pastry flour. Substitute this for white flour.
• Room temperature ingredients are crucial for cupcakes and cakes. They incorporate more easily and help to prevent over mixing.
• Vanilla variation: omit cocoa powder and replace with an equal amount of flour.
• Always use softened butter (not frozen) with the wire whips.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups flour (all-purpose or sifted whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp Mexican vanilla
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1-oz bottle red food coloring
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Sift all dry ingredients together in medium mixing bowl and set aside. Cream butter and sugar with wire whips until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes on speed 2). Periodically stop the mixer and use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.* Add one egg at a time, allowing to incorporate between. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. Pour the flour mixture evenly around the bowl. Stir milk and food coloring together; pour evenly over the flour mixture. Use “M” switch to incorporate; do not over mix. Bake at 325°F for 24-28 minutes. Do not over bake: edges should be firm and middle should be soft.