Submitted by Mariah from Westlock, Alberta
“One of the favourites around our house for Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie. Grandma Brown loved baking pies and liked to put a twist to recipes. Let’s see if you can catch the twist in this one.”
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 orange
- 3/4 cup light cream or evaporated milk
Prep Time 15 minutes
Bake Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
1. Combine the pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices thoroughly. Add 3 slightly beaten eggs. Mix.
2. Juice a medium orange and then fill with milk to 1 1/4 cups. Grate the rind of the orange and add to the pumpkin mixture. Add in the light cream and mix until combined.
3. Pour into 9″ pastry lined pan. Bake 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes; then 325 depress Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.