- 1 C white rice flour, more for dusting work surface
- 1/2 C potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1/2 C tapioca starch/flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter or non-hydrogenated shortening, room temp
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C sour cream
- Canola oil, for frying
Gluten Free Donuts
- 1 C confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
Gluten Free Glaze
- Mix together rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg in a medium-sized bowl.
- Is your Bosch mixer, beat together sugar and room temperature butter. Slowly add the egg yolks and mix until well combined. Then slowly add your dry ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Scrape the sides of your bowl and press all of the dough into one ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- After your dough has chilled, remove it from the fridge. Prepare a clean work surface with a dusting of gluten-free flour. Roll out your dough. Once it is 1/2 inch thick, cut out your donuts. This can be done with a donut cutter or two different sized round cookie cutters/biscuit cutters. Set aside the donut centers for frying donut holes. Continue this process until you’ve cut out all of the dough.
- In an electric fryer, fill 2 inches deep with oil and heat to 325°F.
- Fry two to four donuts at a time for two minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn donuts over using a slotted spoon and fry for an additional two minutes, or until golden brown. Take the donuts from the frying oil and place on a paper towel covered plate for draining.
- Making the glaze: in a bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, milk, and salt; whisk together.
- Dip tops of each donut into glaze and transfer to a wire rack placed over a sheet pan (to catch any drips). Let sit 15 minutes or until glaze sets.
Nutritional Facts (1 Donut): 141 calories, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 13g sugars, 1g protein, 19Est GL.
Egg-Free Sour Cream Donuts: omit 2 egg yolks. Add 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch to the dry ingredients in step 1. Combine 1 tablespoon golden flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot unsweetened applesauce and 1 tablespoon hot water; let cool. Use this mixture to replace 2 egg yolks in step 2.