Happy National Waffle Day! To celebrate, we’re sharing some of our favorite waffle toppings with you! Whether you’re in the mood for something healthy, sweet, savory, or somewhere in between, there’s something on the list for everyone. Which one will you try?
- Feta cheese and strawberries or cranberries
- Feta cheese is a white cheese made from raw milk and it’s a staple of Greek cuisine. It compliments the sweet flavors of fresh strawberries or dried cranberries to give you a probiotic boost.
- Greek yogurt and honey
- Greek yogurt is a good source of protein and vitamin B and it pairs well with honey on top of your waffles.
- Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- Chia seeds are a high nutrient, low-calorie food that can be added to drinks, salads, and even jams. To make your own chia seed jam, soak the seeds in water for about five minutes or until a jelly-like texture is achieved. Then over medium heat, heat strawberries or any other berries you like with honey until the berries are soft. After heating the berries, simply stir in the chia seeds to create a delicious jam perfect for your waffles!
- Creamy cashew butter
- Use your Bosch Compact Food Processor Attachment to blend toasted cashews and coconut oil together for a creamy alternative to peanut butter.
- Cottage cheese and anything
- Pre-made pineapple cottage cheese is a delicious and easy find at your local grocery store, perfect for your morning waffles. If you want a fresh twist, mix some cottage cheese with berries or fresh fruit cut in chunks.
- An even simpler topping is cottage cheese mixed with honey.
- If you’re in the mood for something a little more savory, try combining your curds with salt and pepper, parsley or basil, some peppers, and then squeeze lemon juice over the entire waffle.
- Peanut butter, sliced bananas, bacon strips
- Make Elvis proud with this take on his famous grilled peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich.
- Caramelized peaches
- To make caramelized peaches, stir together four sliced and pitted peaches, the juice of half a lemon, and a pinch of salt and cinnamon. Melt half a stick of butter and ¼ cup sugar in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peach mixture and cook while stirring occasionally, until caramelized, for about 5 minutes. Serve on freshly cooked waffles.
- We also like to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream along with the caramelized peaches to make the perfect dessert waffle.
- Lemon curd and raspberry syrup
- Lemon curd is a mixture of lemon juice, sugar, eggs and butter. It has a flavor and texture that resembles that of lemon meringue filling. You can buy it at the store or make it at home by whipping the ingredients into a froth in your Bosch Universal Plus Mixer. Top it all off with some delicious raspberry syrup for a tart treat!
- Applesauce and chopped walnuts
- Get your protein in first thing in the morning with a healthy serving of walnuts sprinkled over your applesauce-slathered waffle!
- Basil, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese
- Try this interesting take on caprese salad for brunch the next time you’re craving a light, refreshing waffle.
- Avocado and black olives
- Move over, avocado toast, we’re talking waffles now! Top your waffle with some sliced avocado and black olives before drizzling the entire thing with olive oil.
- Eggs benedict
- Swap out your basic English muffin for a hot, crispy waffle! Top it with a poached egg, Canadian bacon and Hollandaise sauce for the perfect breakfast.
- Fried chicken
- Chicken and waffles is a common Southern specialty. We couldn’t make a list of waffle toppings without including this classic comfort food. Drizzle your chicken and waffles with honey to contrast the salty flavor of the fried chicken.
- Cornbread waffles with chili, cheese and sour cream toppings
- Instead of the typical waffle mix, use a mixture of flour and cornmeal to make these hearty waffles. Chili cheese nachos have nothing on this delicious all-in-one meal.
- Macaroni and cheese with bacon bits
- If we didn’t hook you with the bacon bits, just wait until you’ve got creamy mac and cheese dripping off of your waffle slice and the kids are begging for more (you can thank us later).
Let us know in the comments what your go-to toppings are!